|Client:||Private owner (The Naze Tower)|
The Grade II* listed Naze Tower is an historic landmark and the only building of its type and period in the country. The 86ft tall octagonal brick tower, with 400m thick walls, was built by Trinity House in 1720, with a beacon on its roof to serve as an early form of lighthouse. It has undergone several changes of use over the years and is currently an art gallery and museum with a roof viewing platform.
Due to age, weathering and the corrosion of embedded steelwork used during various structural alterations, the Tower was suffering from multiple masonry cracking, possibly made worse by the weight of a large radar installed on the roof during World War 2.
Two major fractures ran virtually the full height of the tower, either side of the east pier, widening to 20mm at the top. Cracking to the south facing pier at 5th and 6th floor level had been addressed by installing ties and plates.
There was additional vertical cracking at many locations around the eight storey tower, which needed sympathetically repairing to restore structural integrity to this historic listed tower.
The Helibeam System was specified as it is a proven method of creating reliable concealed repairs and has a successful record of being used on listed buildings.
All repair work was fully concealed and, after repointing, the historic Naze Tower was restored to full structural integrity with its appearance unaltered. The engineer for the project was Phil Chatfield.