The Helifix Crack Stitching Kit contains the necessary components for the effective and reliable stitching of cracked masonry. Bonding HeliBar stainless steel bars into appropriate bed joints or cut slot stabilises the masonry and redistributes tensile loads to minimise further development of the crack.
1. Rake out or cut slots into the horizontal mortar beds, a minimum of 500mm either side of the crack, to the specified depth.
2. Clean out slots with blow pump and apply HeliPrimer WB or flush with water.
3. Using the CS Pointing Gun Kit, inject a bead of HeliBond to the back of the slot.
4. Using a finger trowel, or similar, push the HeliBar into the grout to obtain good coverage.
6. Make good the vertical crack with an epoxy-based weatherproof filler e.g. Crackbond TE. Repoint the mortar bed and make good.
Where two or more cracks are close together these may be stitched using one continuous length of HeliBar which must be long enough to extend 500mm beyond the outer cracks. e.g. if there are three cracks, each 250mm apart, then the overall length of HeliBar required would be 1.5m.
The horizontal slot, normally the mortar bed, can be cut using a twin diamond blade chaser with vacuum attachment, an angle grinder or a mortar chisel.
All mortar must be removed, together with any loose debris, to ensure a sound bond.
Prepare the slot with HeliPrimer or thoroughly wet the slot with clean water.